Updated:  11 Jan 2008


Frequently Asked Questions

We welcome your feedback
about our new look and functionality.










This web site has been  created as a public service by R.C.S. Animal Care.  Every reasonable effort has been made to ensure the currency and accuracy of the information presented at the Site.  However, R.C.S. Animal Care assumes no responsibility and Users of this Site should verify the information from other sources prior to making decisions or acting upon it.

To contact us:

R.C.S. Animal Care
Dorchester, ON


I found a baby raccoon.  What do I do with it?

Baby raccoons, and other wildlife babies, are not always necessarily orphaned.  Sometimes mom is out scrounging for food and will usually come back for her baby(ies).  Uneducated do-gooders will more than likely "kidnap" babies thinking they've been abandoned, so unless there is proof there is no sign of a parent (i.e. 24-36 hours, or the kits are wandering around during daylight hours), it is probably safe to assume the baby has been abandoned or orphaned.  Contact the Ministry of Natural Resources who will refer you to a wildlife rehabilitator in your area.

I hear raccoons make great pets!

Absolutely not!  All "wildlife" came by their name because they are wild and need to live their life in the wild.  Keeping wildlife in captivity on your premises for more than 24 hours, without MNR authorization, is illegal and you could be subject to penalty by the Ministry.

Does the Ministry subsidize wildlife rehabilitators?

No.  Expenses incurred are paid for by the independent wildlife rehabilitator.  Expenses includes housing (cages), bedding material, food and any medical treatment or medicines your animals may require.  Most, if not all "facilities" caring for wildlife rely totally on donations which are always graciously accepted.

How do I go about becoming a wildlife rehabilitator?

The MNR provides free courses for all those interested.  A passing grade is required on the examination, an inspection of your "facility" is made; and if all is well, a license is issued. Contact your local ministry office for further information.  Check also upcoming Courses on the Training page.

Need more information and/or answers to some of your questions?

Click "Injured and Orphaned Wildlife Need Special Care" for the brochure written and designed by a good friend and colleague, Paul Harris.  You must have Adobe Acrobat Reader to view this file.

Vivian's X-Ray generously donated by Earth Rangers Wildlife Facility.